August 14, 2007

Watching the Paint Dry

While waiting for those skins to bond, I spent most of my time working with the resin parts I ordered from Keith and painting some stuff. First up was the steel center foot I bought from Jerry Greene. Being steel, I had it stored with plenty of oil in an airtight bag for a few months. Now, I wanted to get it primed and painted to prevent rust from long term storage. Like everything else, I hit is with a couple coats of sandalbe automotive primer and then a number of coats of Rustoleum Satin White. I made sure I at least primed the inside too, so that it doesn't rust.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I didn't like the paint I purchased for the aluminum pieces. I had originally bought the fancy "Metallic" series Rustoleum paint. It left too much metallic flake on the piece and looked too dark. I found the perfect aluminum look using the plain (no pictures) "Metallic Silver" in the white can.

At the same time, I was trying to get some of the resin parts for the legs ready to paint. I used the dremel to take off the large pour spouts from the ankle cylinders. These might require a little more finishing work before I actually paint them.